Seiten

Samstag, 28. Juni 2014

A Nice Surprise

The German paperbacks of Misery and It.
 What a nice surprise. A few day agos my better half brought home these Stephen King books she picked up at a school's library for free. Nobody wanted them, it seems. Nobody knew the treasures they left behind is my view on it. I already read 'IT', of course, considering it one of King's best books. 'Misery', however, is new to me. So I'm looking forward to read through it.

But it will have to wait for quite some time as I finally began reading Frank Herbert's 'Dune' series. I'm now around 200 pages deep in the first volume 'Der Wüstenplanet' or whatever it is called in English. I am impressed by all the conspiracy between the different 'houses' (like in Game of Thrones or is that chronologically speaking inspired by Dune?), the length of the chapters, and the nice artworks scattered across the book. I feel that this book takes its time to introduce the characters until catastrophe appears as there's hints to an assassination of the Atreides family. But the first sand worm already appeared and it's super big, eating up a 'melange/spice' harvesting machine, which itself is described as hundred meters long. Also I really like it's 1960s Sci-Fi-approach to technology with these awesome desert suits that make you loose no water in the desert as even your excrements get recycled (damn...). So yes, finishing all six books might take until end of the year earliest.

Somehow I even managed to make the better half watch Game of Thrones. Surprisingly she really likes it. We're now close to finishing the first season and for me it's also a great re-watch as I now know the extended background story to each character and all the hidden alliances, being able to answer all her questions. We will then watch the fourth season together as I haven't seen it myself yet.

Gaming: Still wandering through the realms of Skyrim. But more oftenly I now find myself playing some matches of 'Magic: The Gathering' with a friend, such a great and fast game with unrivaled tactical depth. Looking forward to head to my first local Friday Night Magic event soon.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen