Seiten

Sonntag, 4. Mai 2014

What I read in April 2014

In April I've been on vacation for quite some time, but I tried to read whenever possible. Just very briefly, to not let the blog die down, here's what I read:

Jonas Jonasson: Der Hundertjährige, der aus dem Fenster stieg und verschwand
A nice little novel about the fascinating life of a hundred year old who broke out of his retirement home on his 100th birthday. Funny and written in a welcome easy style, so that it took only three days to finish the book.

Zygmunt Bauman: Dialektik der Ordnung
This was some academic reading I did. A more or less "shocking" class of the social sciences "Modernity and the Holocaust" (as the English title should be) argues that the Holocaust was not something extraordinarly unique but more of the "dark side of modernity" which theoretically could happen again. Enlightening.
Richard Bachman: Amok
This was my first (and his first) Richard Bachman novel. I read it in German as the original version "Rage" is banned in the US and UK (I suspect). Two hundred pages, nothing too special by King standards. It's about a teenager who shoots two of his teachers and locks himself in with his classmates. Interestingly most of them begin to symphasize with him and another co-student becomes the target of his classes' rage.

What's next? Currently I've begun to read Stephen King's Desperation and the first 50 or so pages were highly (cruel) and entertaining. I'm interested to see how the larger picture will look like. After that I'm reading its "twin novel" Richard Bachman's The Regulators. And yesterday I happened to buy the Dune saga books and Stephen King and Peter Straub's Black House, a novel I never knew existed, at the local night time flea market.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen